As many of you have heard, Orient Land Trust is planning on reopening Valley View Hot Springs in August. We have a few things yet to do to prepare for that day.
Currently our staff is furloughed to save OLT valuable resources during the time of closure. No one is in the office to answer the phone or your emails. We have 4,000 members and I would love to speak to each and every person who calls or writes. You may think your letter will only take a few moments of my time, but multiply that by hundreds and you can see where I am going!
We are preparing, getting things in place, staff will be returning the end of July. Remember we are a small staff with a big job. Here is how you can help us to get the job done so we can welcome you back!
1) BE PROACTIVE! Instead of calling or emailing which requires a person to respond to you, check the web page, Facebook page or our Newsletter for upcoming announcements. There is much information on the web page that will address most questions. If there is not an announcement, you can be assured that we are not ready to put that date out just yet! If you have a question not answered, hold tight and wait until the office is open to ask it.
2) BE PATIENT! Our staff has been out of the office for four and a half months. We will be a little rusty, a little slow. There are new procedures and expectations we will need to share with you. Please think of us, be patient, kind and supportive. We will do the very best we can to make things run smoothly.
3) THINK OF OTHERS FIRST! Keep in mind that we are a small office with limited phone lines and computer stations. There is only so much we can do! We do not have online reservations available at this time. When you call (after the date we open, do not leave a message in advance) leave your name and number, no lengthy dialog please. Leave only one message, we will call you back when we can. If we don't answer the phone during office hours, than all lines are currently busy. PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE TO RING THE PHONE! IT CREATES A GREAT DEAL OF STRESS IN THE OFFICE AND IS NOT HELPFUL.
4) DON'T BE PART OF A TIDAL WAVE! We will only be taking reservations for one month out. If you want to come in September or October, please wait until 30 days before your day of arrival to call and see if we are still open. Do you really need to be the first person back? Can you wait a few days and then call for a reservation? We'll do our best to respond to the needs of our members, but we may not be able to handle the volume of calls. Trust us, we have been working on the best way to this. As much as I appreciate everyone's ideas, thoughts and suggestions, see what we've already got in place. We just do not have the time to speak or write with everyone about every idea at this time. It is not that your ideas are not important; it just requires man-hours and financial expense to respond.
5) BE A GOOD WORLD CITIZEN! Help Colorado get the pandemic under control. Wear a mask, physically distance from others, do what our governor is asking so that our state can continue to reopen the economy and Valley View can stay open. While you are here, masks are required. If you are a non-mask wearer, do not come! I will not be debating in the parking lot with you, you will not be allowed in without a mask.
6) FINANCIAL SUPPORT: We are reopening at a loss of income. Orient Land Trust will lose approximately $20,000 additional dollars per month by opening at a reduced capacity. Yes, we lose more money by reopening than if we reduce expenses and stay closed! We have had to make some tough decisions. The positive side of reopening is that it gives our members the opportunity to come and share in this magical and rejuvenating place and our staff the opportunity to continue working. If you are someone with more resources and you can afford to make additional donations to help cover the loss, it is greatly appreciated.
7) THIS IS A TEST! We are willing to give it a try. We want to retain as much of our culture as possible, but things will be different and we need everyone's cooperation. If it doesn't work, we will close again.
Be an exemplary guest, follow all guidelines, help support the land trust and staff to make this a positive experience for everyone, be patient. If you do not agree, please stay home now and return when things are back to normal!
Look forward to speaking with you in the coming weeks!
Visitor Service Manager